Traditional Greek-style avgolemono soup marries eggs with lemon juice in a flavorful base of chicken broth. The dish gets its silky consistency from the egg, which thickens the soup as it cooks in the liquid. Throwing chicken and orzo into the pot makes our version even heartier. This is delicius <3
Nutrition Facts: Calories 313, Fat 9.1g (Saturated 2.1g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 177mg, Sodium 622mg, Carbs 26g (Fiber 2.1g, Sugars 3.7g), Protein 331.2g
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 lemons, juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste (optional)
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat, add the onions and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and rice, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the rice is cooked, al-dente, about 15-20 minutes.
- Slowly pour 1 cup of the hot broth into the eggs while whisking and then slowly whisk the egg mixture into the soup.
- Add the chicken, lemon juice and zest and cook to warm, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, mix 1/4 cup of the hot broth with the miso paste and then mix the mixture back into the soup before seasoning with salt.