When it comes to the perfect accompaniment to a hot cuppa, nothing comes close to a slice of this lemony sponge. This is delicius <3 <3
Prep Time20 MINS
Cook Time1 HR
Total Time1 HR 20 MINS
- ▢1-⅓ cups cake flour
- ▢½ cup all-purpose flour
- ▢1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ▢¼ teaspoon salt
- ▢1 cup butter, softened
- ▢¾ cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling on top
- ▢3 large eggs, at room temperature
- ▢Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and then line it with parchment or wax paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and ¾ cup sugar with an electric mixer, several minutes, until it gets light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Beat in the lemon zest.
- Add the eggs, one at a time along with a tablespoon of flour mixture for each, allowing each egg to be fully incorporated into the batter before adding the next.
- Gently mix in the remaining flour, just until blended. And then stir in the lemon juice. (Don’t over mix as it will toughen the cake.)
- Scrape the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the pan and place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Gently remove the cake from the pan and cut into 12 slices.