These Lightened Up Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake Squares make for the most delicious breakfast-filled with protein packed pancake mix, fresh juicy blueberries, lemon zest and juice-this is a breakfast cake the whole family will enjoy!
PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME35 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME10 minutes
TOTAL TIME55 minutes
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 146kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 16mg | Sugar: 17g | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutrition Information: Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 105TOTAL FAT: 1gCHOLESTEROL: 3mgSODIUM: 242mgCARBOHYDRATES: 15gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 13gFIBER: 2gSUGAR: 3gPROTEIN: 7g
Smartpoints: GREEN: 2 smartpoints per square if using egg whites and Kodiak Cake Pancake Mix, BLUE/PURPLE: 2 smartpoints per square if using Kodiak Cakes Pancake Mix
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- The Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener (sugar substitute) that is used in this recipe is zero points. Please keep in mind-the point value can vary depending on the brand of sugar substitute you choose to use. Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener also has a 1:1 ratio to real sugar. If you use a different sugar substitute you will want to use the equivalent to real sugar that is recommended on back of the sugar substitute package.
- 1 3/4 cup kodiak pancake mix or all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp light butter- I use Land O’Lakes light butter or I can’t believe it’s not butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup zero point white granulated sweetener – I use Lakanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (not thawed) blueberries
- 2 Tbsp Kodiak mix or flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar crystals, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×9 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. You could also use a 9×13 dish but keep in mind the pieces won’t be as thick. I like the thickness that the 9×9 pan gives this cake.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with 2 Tbsp flour; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Kodiak pancake mix, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the unsweetened almond milk with 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate medium size mixing bowl, combine light butter, unsweetened applesauce, lemon zest, and sweetener and whisk until well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla and continue to mix until well combined. Then whisk in the unsweetened almond milk lemon juice mixture.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Whisk until JUST combined. NOTE: It’s totally normal to have clumpy batter. In fact, that is what you want. Otherwise, if you over-mix the texture of the cake will be very dense.
- Fold the flour covered blueberries into the batter, until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 9×9 inch pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. If you’re using a 9×13 dish, it may only need to bake 25-28 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for doneness, if needed.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle sugar crystals ( course sugar) over the top of the cooled cake, if desired.
- Cut and serve into 12 even servings.