Celebrate strawberry season with these moreish crumble buns. These eye-catching desserts are perfect for summer and make an impressive sweet treat
- 120g butter, 70g at room temperature and 50g chilled and cubed
- 370g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 135g caster sugar
- 7g dried fast action yeast
- 100ml milk, lukewarm
- 250g strawberries, halved
- STEP 1Melt the 70g butter and let it cool. Sift 300g flour into a bowl, add the eggs, 75g sugar and the yeast and mix everything with a spoon. Slowly add the lukewarm milk and cooled butter. Mix until all ingredients are well combined into a very soft, sticky dough. Cover the bowl with a clean cloth and put in a warm place to rise for 40–60 mins until doubled in volume.
- STEP 2To make the crumble, combine the remaining flour with the remaining sugar and chilled butter. Rub the butter into the flour until you have a breadcrumb-like texture. Chill.
- STEP 3When the dough has risen, divide it into six portions, squashing it down slightly and then shape each into a ball on a floured worksurface – the dough may still be sticky, so dust it with flour and work quickly. Flatten the balls gently with your hand so that they look like buns. Put on a baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- STEP 4Divide the strawberries between the buns, putting them in the centre of each and sprinkle with crumble. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Bake the buns for 25 mins until puffed and cooked. Cool and then dust with icing sugar, if you like.