Ingredients (makes 12 twists)
- 1 3/4 cups shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese (200 g/ 7.1 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (150 g/ 5.3 oz)
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (30 g/ 1.1 oz)
- 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 tbsp tomato paste (60 g/ 2.1 oz)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or basil
- 12 small slices of pepperoni, finely sliced (36 g/ 1.3 oz)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (28 g/ 1 oz)
- 4 tbsp grated Parmesan (20 g/ 0.7 oz)
- Preheat oven to 200 °C/ 400 °F (fan assisted), or 220 °C/ 425 °F (conventional).
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute.
- Remove and stir and then heat in 30 second bursts until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Add the egg and the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix with the mozzarella mixture until a smooth dough forms.
- Roll out into a very thin rectangle and trace a faint line down the centre, longways.
- Spread the tomato paste on one side and top with the parsley and the pepperoni. Fold the dough over and press down. Cut the dough into 12 even strips (1 to 1 1/2 inch thick depending on the size of the dough). Note: The best way to divide the rolled dough evenly is to first cut it roughly in half and then cut each in half to create a total of 4 quarters. You can now cut each of the quarters in 3 slices to get a total of 12 slices.
- Twist each strip and lay on lined baking trays. Melt the butter and brush the tops of each twist. Sprinkle with parmesan. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Store, in an airtight container, in the pantry or in the fridge for up to five days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional values (per twist)
Net carbs 2.8 grams – Protein 9.2 grams – Fat 15.5 grams – Fiber 1.5 grams – Calories 186 kcal