Nutrition FactsHealthy Vegetarian Chili RecipeAmount Per Serving (1 -½ cups)Calories 293Calories from Fat 45% Daily Value*Fat 5g8%Carbohydrates 44g15%Fiber 19g76%Protein 15g30%
- ▢1 tablespoon olive oil
- ▢2 medium onions, finely chopped
- ▢4 garlic cloves, minced
- ▢1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ▢1-½ tablespoons chili powder
- ▢2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ▢½ teaspoon paprika (I sometimes use smoked paprika)
- ▢2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ▢⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ▢2 bay leaves
- ▢½ cup bulgur, preferably coarse
- ▢1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- ▢3 cans (15 ounces each) beans (kidney, black, pinto or any combination), rinsed and drained
- ▢2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ▢5 cups water
- ▢Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Put a large soup pot on medium heat and add the oil.
- Add the onions, garlic, and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne, bay leaves and bulgur. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, soy sauce, water, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often so the ingredients don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Before serving, taste and add more salt, pepper and/or cayenne if needed.