If you love coffee cake, you’ll love these cinnamon streusel muffins! Soft vanilla muffins topped with brown sugar crumbles. Perfect for a weekend brunch or breakfast on the go!
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 289.08cal | Carbohydrates: 42.04g | Protein: 4.05g | Fat: 11.8g | Saturated Fat: 7.12g | Cholesterol: 56.16mg | Sodium: 115.75mg | Potassium: 124.83mg | Fiber: 0.75g | Sugar: 21.79g | Vitamin A: 379.9IU | Calcium: 54.51mg | Iron: 1.42mg
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
For the muffins:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour about 8.5 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Before You Begin
When making the streusel topping, you can cut the butter in using two butter knives scissor style, or use a pastry cutter. I actually just use my fingers. Once the butter disappears you will be able to pinch the topping and it should hold together.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 12 muffin cups with liners or lightly spray with nonstick spray.
Make the topping
- In a medium bowl, whisk together topping ingredients: flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter until completely incorporated. Mixture should be crumbly and hold together when squeezed between your fingers. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
Make the muffins
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Use a wooden spoon to stir in milk and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and using a wooden spoon stir just until combined. If you still see small streaks of flour that’s okay.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle generously with streusel topping, pressing down firmly on the tops to ensure that it sticks. Each cup should be full once the streusel is added.
- Bake muffins at 425 F for 5 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 350 F and bake another for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Hitting the muffins with a few minutes of high heat helps create a large muffin dome.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pan, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.