These Creamy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect potluck item-bring them to your next tailgating party-and they will be the most sought after appetizer!
- 35 whole large white or golden Italian (Crimini) mushrooms
- 1 lb. lean ground mild Italian turkey or chicken sausage ( I use Isernio’s mild Italian chicken sausage)
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a mushroom in your palm, cap side down. Use a spoon to scoop out the stem, leaving a hole in the cap for stuffing.
- Using a knife dice up the stems and set aside.
- Spray a skillet with non stick cooking spray. Cook the turkey sausage until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes, using a fork to crumble the sausage into small pieces.
- Add the minced garlic, onion salt, and stir until well combined. Add the minced mushroom stems and cook until tender. Transfer the sausage mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add the bread crumbs, skim milk, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and parsley to the bowl. Stir until well combined. Add cream cheese and mix until all ingredients have been incorporated.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the mushroom caps. Flip them so the hole is facing up.
- Using a spoon, add about 1 Tbsp mixture into each mushroom.
- Bake the mushrooms for 20-22 minutes, or until golden.
Makes 35 mushrooms or 7 ( 5 mushrooms) servings
4 Points for 5 stuffed mushrooms
- These stuffed mushrooms taste best when served warm.
Smartpoints: GREEN: 1 Smart Point each or 4 mushrooms for 6 SmartPoints BLUE: 1 Smart Point each or 4 mushrooms for 6 SmartPoints PURPLE: 1 Smart Point each or 4 mushrooms for 6 SmartPoints